The best people to get startup marketing tips is from those who’ve already done it:
- All hands support: Have all members of your staff share customer support, to avoid burnout and to establish a better connection with clients. You get to know your customer’s needs better by having people with different outlooks and skills interacting with them.
- Start marketing before you launch your product/website: This concept is self-explanatory, I think. Having a client base via a blog, forum posts, content marketing, social media, etc., will make sure you have buying customers lining up to give you their money on launch day.
- Content marketing: Become a source of great content for your customers, using a blog, social media, guest posting. Just look at BizEpic.com!
- Identify the best marketing distribution channels for your product: Are you going to market yourself? Let an external marketing firm do the heavy lifting? Sell through other retailers (online or off)? Affiliates?
- Identify media reporters and bloggers who can help you market to your ideal customer: It’s not just enough to know where your target market hangs out, you have to connect with the reporters, bloggers, celebrities who they trust and get those people excited about your product and willing to recommend you.