Nobody ever said running a home-based business was easy…
This is a rather large list, but if you’re being honest with yourself, every single one of them really is necessary to run your own business successfully. I believe #5 is one that I hear neglected quite often when talking to business owners who can’t seem to crack the profitability formula:
1. Do what you enjoy.
2. Take what you do seriously.
3. Plan everything.
4. Manage money wisely.
5. Ask for the sale.
6. Remember it’s all about the customer.
7. Become a shameless self-promoter.
8. Project a positive business image.
9. Get to know your customers.
10. Level the playing field with technology.
11. Build a top-notch business team.
12. Become known as an expert.
13. Create a competitive advantage.
14. Invest in yourself.
15. Be accessible.
16. Build a rock-solid reputation.
17. Sell benefits.
18. Get involved.
19. Grab attention.
20. Master the art of negotiations.
21. Design Your workspace for success.
22. Get and stay organized.
23. Take time off.
24. Limit the number of hats you wear.
25. Follow-up constantly.
About asking for the sale:
If you don’t ask, you’re definitely missing out on a huge chunk of change. I was just talking to a guy who owns a failing automotive repair shop the other day. He was telling me how he doesn’t like to pressure customers into doing the repairs he recommends — he prefers the passive approach — telling customers what’s wrong and waiting for them to offer him their business. Big no-no!
If you don’t ask, most people won’t buy.
Share your own tips for success in the comments.