In the last 5 months, I’ve been on a mission to nail down a good morning routine, in an effort to start each day on the right (positive and empowering) note.
Brian Tracy’s been around since before motivational speaking was even considered a career (Dear Brain: I’m not calling you old, you’re a true trail-blazer and inspiration!)
This video is quick and details a few easy-to-implement and effective habits we can all use to start the day out right:
As a freelancer, I’ve made all the mistakes:
- Jumping out of bed and checking emails from clients (this is rarely uplifting and can get your blood pressure surging and create a sense of urgency that the body isn’t ready for so early on.)
- Getting up and watching television (yet another productivity-killing ritual that leads to less, or nothing getting done.)
- Drinking 5 espressos and washing them back with a cafe latte (do I have to point out what’s wrong with this habit?)
- Getting up and eating a big meal (yeah, everyone says it’s the most important meal, but I prefer a protein shake over foods that are hard for the body to digest, which I find creates a fog in my head that makes thinking near impossible for hours or even the entire day.)
- Negative thinking before even getting out of bed (like asking “why does life suck so much”, or thinking about how someone ticked me off the day before, or worse: sometime in the past — UGH, those memories that just pop into your head out of nowhere, for no good reason…)
Now, I wake up and read. Not for work, not even for learning. I read fiction for about 60 minutes, then I write for myself too — fiction.
Then 30-minutes of CrossFit and a shower (in that exact order!)
Then after my “me time” is done and I’m thoroughly relaxed. body primed, and after 1 single coffee: I get to work writing to pay the bills!
What’s your routine like?